Iterators and Ranges: Comparing C++ to D to Rust

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 07:47:18 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 15 June 2021 at 16:21:07 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:
> real-world cases. For example, how is it possible, that e.g. on
> the same computer switching between two Slack channels takes
> 3-4 seconds, but at the same time runs demanding AAA games from
> from 2-3 years ago just fine? Unless we're living in different

This trend has been true since the 1980s where people wrote key
routines in assembly. Meaning, most projects aim for usable at
lowest price. More capable computers means less efficient
programming...

I think a better argument is that system level programming
requires predictable latency and high effiency to a greater
extent.

For instance, if I create a solar powered monitoring system then
I want to use a low powered cpu.

Walter says D is for systems programming. Well, then it follows
that everything in the standard library should be designed for
that purpose.

Meaning: predictable latency and highest efficiency, either by
being fast OR consume minimal resources (energy or RAM).

If D does not follow through on that then it cannot be considered
to be a dedicated system level language. But then D needs to
define what it is for.