Should we finally ditch the 32-bit build of dmd?

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 21:38:19 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 16 June 2021 at 17:59:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> By numerous reports the world is ditching 32 bit for good:
>
> https://www.androidauthority.com/arm-32-vs-64-bit-explained-1232065/
>
> There's significant effort needed in the dmd source code to
> accommodate 32 bit builds, which nobody should use.
>
> Ditch?

Perhaps we can start by ditching the schedulers for Pentium chips
from the 90s - even charitably (i.e. The P6 architecture did live
for a while) it's obsolete (and more importantly not needed for
supporting those targets). That way we gain experience pressing
delete rather than making the code dead and leaving it, and we
reduce the surface area of old/dead code which could be silently
broken if other things change around it.

Andrei, you may recall this was discussed in a meeting gone by,
and Walter seemed to agree in principle to some changes (this one
wasn't discussed) to the older parts of the compiler.