Simplification of @trusted

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 01:47:30 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 01:33:39 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 01:07:05 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I understand there is a big difference between "never need to
> check absent compiler error" and "only need to check if someone
> who wrote the code should find another line of work", but there
> is also a big difference between where we are now and where we
> could be, particularly since improvements in this area will
> yield compounding benefit.

More succinctly: I agree that the changes under discussion will
not protect against arbitrarily devious coding practices, but I
believe they would meaningfully reduce the likelihood of innocent
mistakes.

I think that we should move towards safety unless it is believed
that the change would inhibit future improvements or would put
large burdens on current users.