Should we finally ditch the 32-bit build of dmd?

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 06:33:03 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 05:48:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/16/2021 2:38 PM, max haughton wrote:
>> Perhaps we can start by ditching the schedulers for Pentium
>> chips from the 90s - even charitably (i.e. The P6 architecture
>> did live for a while) it's obsolete (and more importantly not
>> needed for supporting those targets). That way we gain
>> experience pressing delete rather than making the code dead
>> and leaving it, and we reduce the surface area of old/dead
>> code which could be silently broken if other things change
>> around it.
>
> At one point, Intel did release a low power 32 bit chip for
> embedded systems that benefited quite a bit from the Pentium
> scheduler, as that chip had sacrificed its own internal
> scheduler.
>
> Besides, the bugs have been sorted out from that scheduler long
> ago. It's not impairing anyone.

Compile times?

OT: I've been reading chunks of the GCC instruction schedulers
recently, and I can report that they'd be much more readable (and
safer, obviously) in D. The actual approach taken for the OoO
monster-cpus we have now (New Apple chips have *16* execution
units) isn't totally dissimilar to the code in dmd, just more
general (It's effectively an in-order scheduler specifically
aimed at the decoder, but the state machine can be generated from
the machine description files rather than ad-hoc in code)