Should we finally ditch the 32-bit build of dmd?

Claude claudemr at live.fr
Thu Jun 17 07:37:23 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 16 June 2021 at 17:59:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> By numerous reports the world is ditching 32 bit for good:
>
> https://www.androidauthority.com/arm-32-vs-64-bit-explained-1232065/
>
> There's significant effort needed in the dmd source code to
> accommodate 32 bit builds, which nobody should use.
>
> Ditch?

I would not ditch.

32-bit is still useful on embedded devices. Also, some
applications do not necessarily need to address 4GB of memory.

I read WebAssembly FAQ, and it says interesting stuff on the
subject by the way. See section "Why have wasm32 and wasm64,
instead of just an abstract size_t?" and also "Why have wasm32
and wasm64, instead of just using 8 bytes for storing pointers?".

https://webassembly.org/docs/faq/#will-webassembly-support-view-source-on-the-web