Should we finally ditch the 32-bit build of dmd?

Guillaume Piolat first.name at domain.tld
Thu Jun 17 10:44:36 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 16 June 2021 at 17:59:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> By numerous reports the world is ditching 32 bit for good:
>
> https://www.androidauthority.com/arm-32-vs-64-bit-explained-1232065/
>
> There's significant effort needed in the dmd source code to
> accommodate 32 bit builds, which nobody should use.
>
> Ditch?

Could this wait a few years instead?

Between 10% and 20% of our userbase are still in need of 32-bit
software, for network effect reasons. Of course, if the D core
team want to forego one architecture, we'll just use an older
compiler for this target.