Simplification of @trusted

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 01:03:26 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 17:14:12 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 16:50:28 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 17 June 2021 at 16:21:53 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>
> Yes, that's exactly my point. This can't be solved by changing
> the language, but it *can* be solved by a good code review
> process. So we should avoid wasting our time on language-based
> solutions (like Steven's proposal for `@system` blocks in
> `@trusted` functions), and instead focus on how to improve our
> code review process so that this kind of brittle `@trusted`
> code doesn't slip through.

I don't consider it a waste of time to search for language
upgrades that would reduce the need for expert code review.  I
trust experts significantly less than I trust automated checking
(in this context I am one of those less trusted "expert"s).

I like where Steven's proposal was headed, if I understood it
correctly, and have a variant to put forward that should be
opt-in, with an uncluttered syntax and clear semantics for the
long term, or so I believe.

I suggest that we discuss the topic at beerconf where, with any
luck, we can converge quickly on understanding.