DIP1000: 'return scope' ambiguity and why you can't make opIndex work

Bradley Chatha sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 10:40:45 UTC 2021

On Friday, 18 June 2021 at 17:02:41 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I've suggested that one might want to make the function
> signatures more readable and keep "auxiliary stuff" on a
> separate line:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/nzwobsazsawxvxbxhoue@forum.dlang.org
>
> I personally think explicit lifetimes are easier to read,
> because I don't actually have to remember what keywords signify.
>
> It also makes it possible to expand the capabilities of the
> compiler over time.

Being able to perform explicit, sort of 'algebra-esque'
expressions of lifetime seems like a much more reasonable idea
than the current magical keyword combinations.

What are the chances though that the path/syntax can be changed
at this point though, mostly in regards to convincing people? Not
just for this suggestion, but any suggestion/criticism towards
DIP 1000 in general?

My main worry is that we'll end up with an inflexible, hard to
understand system that doesn't even do the job right. Yet another
tacked on feature for the language, etc.

I've not been terribly optimistic for a quite a while now about
the general direction things like this end up going, so I'm not
getting my hopes up in anyway.