GitHub dlang-community/setup-dlang at v1 workflow woes

Petar Petar
Sat Jun 19 23:15:48 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 19 June 2021 at 17:31:48 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:
> So for a good while now the D GitHub workflow hasn't worked for
> me. It invariably ends up like this, with one job failing to
> fetch dependencies and bringing the rest to a halt.
>
>> \> Run dub test
>> Package lu not found in registry at https://code.dlang.org/
>> (fallbacks registry at > https://code-mirror.dlang.io/,
>> registry at https://dub-registry.herokuapp.com/): HTTP request
>> returned status code 0 ()
>> Failed to find any versions for package lu, referenced by
>> dgithubtest ~master
>> Error: Process completed with exit code 2.
>
> I made a reduced repo showcasing it;
> https://github.com/zorael/dgithubtest. The example above is
> taken from
> https://github.com/zorael/dgithubtest/actions/runs/952832093,
> but I'm not sure if you can see the logs. Fork the repo if you
> want to try it yourself.
>
> It's always that dependency. I guess I could hack around it and
> `while true; dub fetch` until it succeeds. Is that the only
> play?

As far as I can see, 9/10 jobs succeed without a problem and the
the one that fails is the dmd-2.084.0 one. I'm pretty sure that
this has  little to do with GH Actions CI service or the
setup-dlang action, but actually with the version of Dub bundled
with this old version of dmd. You can verify this by running `dub
-v` before `dub test`. Most likely there was an old Dub issue
related to how it handled downloads from registries that has been
fixed since.

Unfortunately, setup-dlang [doesn't yet][1] support installing
the latest version of Dub separately from the compiler, so if you
need to test your project with an old version of dmd, you may
need to install Dub manually.

[1]: https://github.com/dlang-community/setup-dlang/issues/30

> Not sure if this is more a learn or general topic, apologies.

In general, https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues or
https://github.com/dlang-community/setup-dlang/issues would be
more appropriate, but its not a problem to discuss things here as
well.