Stack frames larger than 4K should be rejected, but what if I want more

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 06:04:22 UTC 2021

On Monday, 28 June 2021 at 01:18:57 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
> If you need to quickly allocate very large buffers, you _can_
> quickly allocate very large buffers.  But the stack is not the
> right place to do that.

You think more than 4K for a stack frame is very large? That is a
crazy and unworkable restriction. Even when 2K is enough for a
single function it will be a complete disaster as inlining could
make this 16K in a heartbeat.

The stack is the correct place to put fast allocations as that
memory is in the cache.

Well, D is not a system level language, that is for sure.