Back in D after some absence, some perspective

Dominikus Dittes Scherkl dominikus at scherkl.de
Wed Mar 3 07:43:36 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 2 March 2021 at 21:05:14 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

> One word of advice:
> I see that new features are being added still, such as the
> recent addition of noreturn. While this is a good addition,
> such a case can be made for a bazillion other features too.
I don't see this as a new feature - it's more like a fix for a
glaring hole in the type system, that now removes a few corner
cases that prevented generic coding in some places. But it was of
course a big enough change to require a DIP.

I think this is the kind of "features" that really should go into
the language: things that _remove_ corner cases. The same is true
for the @safe/@system variables and for type functions.

In contrast to new "syntactic sugar" like named parameters or
interpolated strings, which I also like but which are more
debatable.