Thanks from a python programmer

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Thu Mar 4 09:57:01 UTC 2021

Hi All

Just wanted to say thanks to the D community for the tools I've
been using this week to write new utility apps around my old C
libraries.  For years I've used python as the front end for a
stream processor I maintain for work (the das2C library on
github).  I haven't written much D code over the last two years,
but python's performance was again growing tiresome, so I've come
back to D for new application level code.  Others on these forums
have mentioned that a good place to expand D's user base is the
current crop of python programmers.  At least for folks like me
who also maintain C libraries for performance, that sounds like a
great focus area.

The only downsides I've experienced with my current round of D
programming is that:

A) One of my programs compiles/runs fine under dmd, but the exact
same code exhibits stack corruption under GDC-10.  (that was an
interesting debugging session)  I haven't tried it under LDC yet.

B) Current github,master dstep output has an amusing bug where it
writes some of the header definitions right into the middle of
the "extern (C)" line at the top.

C) Also dexed has a confusing interface so I've started kicking a
token monthly donation to it's development.  Maybe others will
join in as well.

These were all minor issues, dstep especially saved me a TON of
time.

Take care and I hope you keep up the good work, especially in the
area of Linux IDE development.