Thanks from a python programmer

mipri mipri at minimaltype.com
Fri Mar 5 18:22:31 UTC 2021

On Friday, 5 March 2021 at 17:44:13 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> You're not interested in having a serious conversation (or
> maybe you don't use D and don't understand how any of this
> works).

This is the conversation:

   Curious George: [Nim] can compile directly to C, and thus
    utilize such libraries and code easier than D can.

   James Lu: Python has first-class C integration, and D has
     first-class extern(C) support.

   mipri: [These examples from Nim] are first class C
    integration. What D has is very fine, but it's general seating.
    [Python] was such a chore that http://swig.org/ happened to
    pull the Python programmers off the wing

   bachmeier: [defensive shrugging]

   mipri: It's really tiresome to make a point this simple and
     then still have to explain it.

   bachmeier: [angry mind-reading]

There's a communication failure: Curious George likes Nim's C
integration, and James Lu doesn't see how it's any better than
D's. That's fine: Curious George didn't say much to begin with.
It may even be the case that precisely where Curious George
actually likes Nim, D *really* is as good, and he's just
relaying a general understanding of transpiling benefits. But
because there's a communication failure, I stepped in to help:
here are some specific things that transpiling lets Nim do,
that might make someone prefer it for C integration.  My goal
wasn't "make everyone use Nim" or "establish that D has
terrible FFI"; it was "allow people like James Lu to read
statements like Curious George's and understand what might be
meant by them, instead of thinking them as merely in error."

Now, thanks to you, there is another communication failure. As
usual I wasted some time trying to overcome it by strengthening
and modulating the signal. But there's nothing I can say that
can make you read, or make you think about what you're reading.
If someone shuts off their radio, it doesn't matter how clear
the radio comms are.