Blog: GC

NonNull non-null at use.startmail.com
Sat Mar 6 01:33:00 UTC 2021

Regarding the depressing GC blog article, dated 2021

https://dlang.org/blog/2021/03/04/symphony-of-destruction-structs-classes-and-the-gc-part-one/

At the foot it says
Content Copyright © 2016-2018 by the D Language Foundation, All
Rights Reserved

Easy to guess the current content about the GC. If a person knows
anything about the situation and has a small amount of
imagination, all of this is totally obvious. What a mess!

Do we really have to reverse engineer the implementation to get
here? And a very incomplete reverse engineering indeed. The
blog's conclusion: The situation is bad, therefore avoid
interacting with it --- this is my first order approximation to
the article.

So about D itself. No design here then, no intent, no
anticipation of the consequences of putting the pieces together,
no strategic reasoning about the consequences of the construction
of D with a garbage collector. All this long-ago stuff is coming
home to roost.

The article admits it is incomplete. But what can follow except
workarounds if someone needs to get past this? And most won't
work. This is not just a roadblock. It reveals the entropy inside
D. The core of D is fatally flawed. D is not a language where
system garbage is taken care of, both concretely and abstractly.
The idea that we all system-program ourselves around these
difficulties suggests both labor and depression.

So disappointed. I wanted D to win. But this is where the dirt
is, and I do not believe a strategic fix will ever be in the
works. Entropy rules.