Any actuaries using D?

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 12:11:53 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 7 March 2021 at 11:43:11 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Hedge fund != actuary
>
> As far as I understand, calculating risks is a big thing at
> Symmetry. That's a core activity for an actuary as well.
>
> — Bastiaan

Calculating risks is a big field. There will certainly be some
overlap between techniques that an insurance firm (particularly
on annuities and as it relates to asset management) and a
hypothetical hedge fund might use. However, actuaries are also
thinking about a wider range of risks. For instance, a life
insurance company cares a lot more about longevity risk than most
hedge funds. Both might care about how market risks affect them.

In addition, there are many different types of hedge fund (e.g.
equity long/short or discretionary macro). The risks that hedge
funds focus on will be different across different strategies (and
some may take more or less quantitative approaches to thinking
about those risks).