Any actuaries using D?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:18:48 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 7 March 2021 at 19:06:47 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 March 2021 at 12:11:53 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> On Sunday, 7 March 2021 at 11:43:11 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> As far as I understand, calculating risks is a big thing at
>>> Symmetry. That's a core activity for an actuary as well.
>>>
>>> — Bastiaan
>>
>> Calculating risks is a big field. There will certainly be some
>> overlap between techniques that an insurance firm
>> (particularly on annuities and as it relates to asset
>> management) and a hypothetical hedge fund might use. ...
>
> Rumors that a hedge fund is using some technology or another
> always plays well - almost regardless of the audience, so I
> might lean into the fact Symmetry is using D a little more.
>
> Any further details not already in the DConf videos and on
> GitHub libraries would be useful.
>
> Thanks

We use D very heavily at Symmetry and have been investing time
and money in to using it for 4-5 years, with the amount invested
increasing significantly over that time. Since I started getting
involved back then it's gone from me chatting to Laeeth to a
substantial number of full-time D programmers with quite a few
familiar faces from these forums & dconf. It's definitely beyond
the rumour stage at this point!

We are hiring D developers and people with experience in other
languages, opportunities to write D are plentiful at Symmetry.
See https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26312185 for more
details.