article comparing Rust and Zig, many points relevant to D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Mar 9 20:16:20 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 March 2021 at 16:48:28 UTC, Mark wrote:
> "Why I rewrote my Rust keyboard firmware in Zig: consistency,
> mastery, and fun"
> https://kevinlynagh.com/rust-zig/
>
> D is not mentioned, but the article focuses on issues of
> conditional compilation and compile-time execution, so I
> thought the D people will find it interesting.

Interesting article and it reaffirms what I originally observed
with Rust and decided to look elsewhere. Rust for embedded
systems is just too cumbersome due to the nature of embedded
programming in my opinion and it gets quickly ugly when you step
outside the normal application programming comfort zone.

In this particular example, a keyboard controller, is a very
simple case of embedded system and despite of that Rust just
makes it difficult. Zig as handles that much easier and you can
get from A to B without splitting any hairs.

BetterC is a little bit what Zig offers and I would assume that
BetterC would be able to handle the task in a similar fashion.