replacing removed projects in dub

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 22:17:59 UTC 2021

Everyone has seen this happen sometimes. An open-source author deletes
their account or the repository, and then the source is gone. The latest
is this project:

https://code.dlang.org/packages/raylib-d

Which I have been using to teach a class.

But of course, it's open source, so we can continue.

What does one do when the project is deleted from view? I can register a
copy of it, but it seems rather annoying if one has to do this kind of
stuff. Plus, now I have to come up with a different name (and have
projects update all their dependencies).

Should it be possible to "take over" a project in dub once the
maintainer has deleted all their stuff? I have a copy of the repo
(thanks to WebFreak), so I could do it, but I wonder if dub shouldn't
have a way to mitigate this type of problem.

Also, if anyone has any information about why this happened, let me know
(you can email me if you want to speak privately), I want to make sure
the original author really meant to do this before I register a copy of
their stuff.

-Steve