Thanks from a python programmer

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri Mar 12 07:09:45 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 4 March 2021 at 10:20:15 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 March 2021 at 09:57:01 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
>> The only downsides I've experienced with my current round of D
>> programming is that:
>>
>> A) One of my programs compiles/runs fine under dmd, but the
>> exact same code exhibits stack corruption under GDC-10.  (that
>> was an interesting debugging session)  I haven't tried it
>> under LDC yet.
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for sharing your experience.
>
> Would it be possible to raise a bug report with either a
> reduced test or steps to reproduce?
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=gcc&component=d&version=10.0
>
> Regards,
> Iain.

Hi Iain

To get back to you on the stack corruption issue, I noticed some
bugs in a dependency library I wrote in C.  I was using my old C
library in new ways now that I have D bindings and ended up
flushing some bugs out of the woodwork.  When I fixed the bugs,
the stack corruption issue under GDC disappeared.  Not sure why
they didn't appear in the DMD binaries, but who knows, vagaries
of stack layout I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply to my initial message, sorry about the
false alarm.

Also, appreciate your work on GDC!  I wish GDC was included in
the package list for CentOS 8 (our production servers) but that's
true of many packages that I end up building from source on
CentOS.

Take Care,