Bootstrapped D to OpenBSD; need help with (hopefully!) the last push to a fully functioning runtime

Brian bcallah at openbsd.org
Fri Mar 12 22:55:52 UTC 2021

Hello all --

I hope this is the right part of the forum (if not please let me
know).

I was able to successfully build GDC on OpenBSD. I used the tip
of the GCC tree.
I was then able to build both LDC and DMD with GDC.

On my GitHub account, I set up forks for each of dmd, druntime,
and phobos.  I have also committed the current WIP to each (in
branches dmd-openbsd, druntime-openbsd, and phobos-openbsd):
https://github.com/ibara/dmd
https://github.com/ibara/druntime
https://github.com/ibara/phobos
I am aware that much of this is ugly. Happy to fix as needed to
get it into shape.

I also placed a bootstrap dmd for openbsd-64 in the dmd repo as
well:
https://github.com/ibara/dmd/releases/tag/bootstrap

All three compilers are able to successfully build a hello world
(https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/D_(The_Programming_Language)/d2/Hello,_World!) and dub.

dub init works fine. Using dub to build and run the skeleton
project also works fine. However, dub fetch (or anything using
network access, really) causes dub to segfault. The backtrace can
be found in the same place as the bootstrap dmd:
https://github.com/ibara/dmd/releases/tag/bootstrap (dub-gdb.txt)

I am happy to provide any other information or code needed to get
D fully working. I am new to the D world, and I'd both like to be
able to use D on OpenBSD as well as offer a package of dmd to our
users (I am an OpenBSD developer) once this (hopefully last!)
issue is overcome.

I am aware of other OpenBSD efforts on this forum. However, the
code repos for some of those efforts appear to have gone to the
great bitbucket in the sky.