A good name for a GUI library?

Mark Lagodych lgd.mrk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 23:57:26 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 11:47:59 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> I urge you to get a realistic expectation in place before
> starting. Which parts of Qt would you focus on first? Also,
> which platform (windows, linux, macos)?

My roadmap is:

1. Create a framework with event-driven programming and a nice
OOP entry point. (Reimplantation of QApplication class and
event-flavoured C++).

2. Create a module called "platform". It will be a middle-level
abstract interface to a system API. No pretty widget class
hierarchy/string translations/advanced resource loading. Plain
functions for creating, destroying, modifying widgets and some
capabilities of drawing with OpenGL or whatever.
Porting my library to a new platform might be as simple/hard as
reimplementing "platform.d"

I target:
- easy use of both native and owner-drawn gui
- easy use of native features (system notifications (as a sort of
message boxes), window transparency, drag-and-drop)
- Linux and Windows because I have them installed on my PC

3. Pretty widget class hierarchy that basically just glues up
high-level (1) and middle-level (2) parts of the library.

I target:
- high extensibility (what about implementation of QML?
MsExcel-like widget? Syntax highlighting in TextEdit? I probably
won't do that, but I'll leave an opportunity for somebody else)
- string translations, theming.