replacing removed projects in dub

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Mar 17 10:04:46 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 11 March 2021 at 22:17:59 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Everyone has seen this happen sometimes. An open-source author
> deletes their account or the repository, and then the source is
> gone. The latest is this project:
>
> https://code.dlang.org/packages/raylib-d
>
> Which I have been using to teach a class.
>
> But of course, it's open source, so we can continue.
>
> What does one do when the project is deleted from view? I can
> register a copy of it, but it seems rather annoying if one has
> to do this kind of stuff. Plus, now I have to come up with a
> different name (and have projects update all their
> dependencies).
>
> Should it be possible to "take over" a project in dub once the
> maintainer has deleted all their stuff? I have a copy of the
> repo (thanks to WebFreak), so I could do it, but I wonder if
> dub shouldn't have a way to mitigate this type of problem.

This wouldn't be a problem if the Dub registry wasn't directly
tied to GitHub (or other similar services). It would be better if
it was more difficult to remove a package from the Dub registry.

With RubyGems, a package is not tied to GitHub but it's instead
an artifact that has been uploaded. If the user closes the GitHub
account the package will still be available in the RubyGems
registry.

I think it's becoming more and more problematic with the Dub
being directly tied to GitHub.

--
/Jacob Carlborg