std.sumtype?

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 15:08:19 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 14:42:03 UTC, Oleg B wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Went to see what is being prepared in the new compiler and saw
> this
> https://dlang.org/changelog/pending.html#std-sumtype
>
> Is this realy final variant for including to phobos, not
> std.experimental? No way for getting tag explicitly (it's
> private), no way for getting type by tag, sumtype depend on
> order of types... I don't see any discussion about including it
> to phobos... Why? Nobody cares?

There was discussion on Github [1] and on the forums [2].

[1] https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/7702
[2]
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/dkizmcporviutijhqlcs@forum.dlang.org

> May be it's time to restructure std, and determine algorithm
> for place new code to it (like DIPs)?

I agree that the process for adding new modules to Phobos could
do with an overhaul, and that the community should be involved in
some way, as it is for DIPs.