Feedback Thread: DIP 1040--Copying, Moving, and Forwarding--Community Review Round 1

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 23:22:07 UTC 2021

On Friday, 5 March 2021 at 12:20:36 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> [...]

Looking at how the discussion is going, this seems to me like
this DIP should be split into two DIPs because it's really doing
two things. One of these things seems to generally be agreed
upon, while the other is quite intensively discussed.

1/ The transformation of copy/destruct couples into move if the
object isn't used in between the copy and the destruction. This
seems to be fairly uncontroversial and the proposal is sound.

2/ The addition of new move constructor/assignment operators.
There seems to be a lot of discussion around these, and I am
myself not convinced that the design is sound.

Splitting this DIP in two would allow to move forward with 1/
relatively quickly and provide value to D user right away, while
providing time and space for 2/ to ironed out.