What are the barriers to adding C support to dub?

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri Mar 19 23:11:51 UTC 2021

I am curious to know what barriers prevent dub from supporting C
source code compilation.

I have seen many wrapper projects mentioned here, but I think all
of these leave handling of external fortran/C/C++ source packages
to other systems.  This makes sense for large projects such as
Qt.  However, for new D programmers, original C sources may
slowly disappear over time while continuing to supply key
functionality for quite a while and I presume that getting new
programmers is a central goal of the community.

Since dub already works with compilers other than dmd, how much
work would it take to make it work with other llvm/gcc supported
languages such as fortran/c/c++ ?

Are there fundamental non-technical reasons that support for
selected external languages in dub is a bad idea?

Maybe these are naive questions.

I found dub to be especially handy in the wild-west environment
of Windows programming and would like to rely on it a bit more.

Kind Regards,