What are the barriers to adding C support to dub?

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Sat Mar 20 00:58:19 UTC 2021

On Friday, 19 March 2021 at 23:30:10 UTC, Eugen Wissner wrote:

> ... dub is more of a package
> manager with some build system capabilities than a build system.

Ah, that makes it more clear.  This is a very handy combo by the
way, especially on Windows where package managers and build tools
can't implicitly communicate with each other via a standard
filesystem layout.

> In my opinion it would be better to add D support to existing
> build systems. Meson supported D, there were cmake intergration
> for D.

I've been working with meson today.  Meson has the opposite
problem, it's a build system that can kinda sorta do some package
wrangling.  Meson and cmake look like they only address half of
the problem space.

I don't know what problems dub has that people considered
re-writing it, but it sure is a handy starter tool, much gentler
learning curve then maven.