What are the barriers to adding C support to dub?

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Tue Mar 23 04:22:51 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 14:19:25 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Friday, 19 March 2021 at 23:11:51 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
>> I am curious to know what barriers prevent dub from supporting
>> C source code compilation.
>
> The best option currently is probably to call any existing
> build tool in dub’s preBuildCommands to compile files in
> foreign languages as part of the dub build process.
>
> Do you see any issues using this approach?
>
> — Bastiaan.

Hey thanks for the advice.  I agree it's the current best option.
I was afraid that putting C sources into dub packages would
violate community norms but that seems to be acceptable, at least
occasionally.

Getting back to the broader topic, here's another way to state
the original question:

   Suppose someone had a dub fork that supported C/C++ code well.
   Would a pull request to merge that support be rejected out of
hand?

What I'm trying to find out is if the problem of closely related
language support is technical, or for lack of a better word,
philosophical.  What I'm hearing is that dub doesn't support
C/C++ code for two reasons:

  1. It's a bad idea. (main reason)
  2. There's no resources for such an effort. (secondary concern)

Does that sound correct?