Thanks again, this time for the github workflow action

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Thu Mar 25 21:18:06 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 25 March 2021 at 20:54:10 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 3/25/21 4:39 AM, Chris Piker wrote:
>
> > the github setup-dlang action
>
> Some of us have no idea what it is and how to use it. (Me too!
> :p)
>
> Ali

I've not used many continuous integration tools before, only
Jenkins and I didn't use that extensively, so I'm far from an
expert, but here's what I think I know.  Corrections invited of
course.

* Github Actions are the rough equivalent to Travis CI

* Actions are automatically triggered processes run on Azure
Cloud Services in response to some activity in your github
repository, typically a commit to a branch you designate.

* Many different operating systems are available for running your
designated actions, including the big three of course.

* Actions are defined by a file in your repository, here's an
example of mine:

https://github.com/das-developers/deimos.cdf/blob/main/.github/workflows/d.yml

* To create an action click the "Actions" button at the top of
your repository page.

* There should be a button called "Create Workflow".  If you
click that, a bunch of workflow templates are presented.  If the
D template does not appear scroll down and hit the "More
continuous integration workflows", it should be among those
listed.

Note, I had to customize this template to get it to work on
Windows.  I added:

    shell: cmd
    run: |
      dub build -b release --compiler=%DC%

and changed the comment markers from "#" to "rem" for the run
command body.

Form there the github GUI should walk you through running the
action.  If it's set to run on update, merely committing the new
workflow file itself will trigger a run.

Hope this helps,