Time to move std.experimental.checkedint to std.checkedint ?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Mar 30 17:53:37 UTC 2021

On 3/30/2021 10:09 AM, tsbockman wrote:
> So you're now dismissing Zig as slow because its feature set surprised you?

Because it surprised me? No. Because if someone had figured out a way to do
overflow checks for no runtime costs, it would be in every language. I know Rust
tried pretty hard to do it.

> No real-world data is necessary? No need to understand any of Zig's relevant
> optimizations or options?

I don't have to test a brick to assume it won't fly. But I could be wrong,
definitely. If you can prove me wrong in my presumption, I'm listening.

P.S. Yes, I know anything will "fly" if you attach enough horsepower to it. But
there's a reason airplanes don't look like bricks.