Time to move std.experimental.checkedint to std.checkedint ?

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 07:58:06 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 07:52:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/31/2021 12:31 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> - Silicon will keep getting faster and cheaper with time
>>
>> - A 7% or a 14% or even a +100% slowdown is relatively
>> insignificant considering the overall march of progress -
>> Moore's law, but also other factors such as the average size
>> and complexity of programs, which will also keep increasing as
>> people expect software to do more things, which will drown out
>> such "one-time" slowdowns as integer overflow checks
>
> If you're running a data center, 1% translates to millions of
> dollars.

You would think someone would have told that to all the companies
running their services written in Ruby, JavaScript, etc.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

What remains the most valuable is 1) time/money not lost due to
wrong results / angry customers, and  2) developer time.

>> - In the long term, people will invariably prefer programming
>> languages which produce correct results (with less code), over
>> programming languages whose benefit is only that they're
>> faster.
>
> People will prefer what makes them money :-)
>
> D's focus is on memory safety, which is far more important than
> integer overflow.

It most definitely is.

But I think sooner or later we will get to a point where memory
safety is the norm, and writing code in memory-unsafe languages
would be like writing raw assembler today. So, the standard for
correctness will be higher.