Voting for forum posts

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 31 23:27:09 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 09:40:15PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 March 2021 at 21:26:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > I wonder how difficult it would be to add a voting system for forum
> > messages. Votes wouldn't be available in the NNTP interface but
> > would be accessible in the Web interface and would allow sorting and
> > filtering by votes.
>
> I'm sure this wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement, but I also
> don't think it is a good idea. Online voting is emotionally toxic and
> logically fallacious. We're better off without it.

+1.

It will also lead to totally pointless and fallacious reactions like
"this comment was rated highest, how come Walter refuses to implement
what it said?".

(And yes, I realize the irony of this post. :-D)

Never step over a puddle, always step around it. Chances are that whatever made it is still dripping.