No we should not support enum types derived from strings

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 7 15:33:56 UTC 2021

On Friday, 7 May 2021 at 15:25:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Enums derived from strings should not be supported as strings
> in the standard library.

I don't think the stdlib should special case much of anything.

Special casing enums is a mistake. If the user wants it treated
as a string, they can cast it to a string.

Special casing static arrays is a mistake. The user can just
slice it out the outside.

Special casing alias this is a mistake. The user can pass what
they meant to pass.

The phobos templates should work like all other templates - on
the exact type passed. Other functions work with the normal
overloading and implicit conversion rules.

Kill all the special cases!