No we should not support enum types derived from strings

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat May 8 21:54:28 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 8 May 2021 at 20:06:35 UTC, guai wrote:
>> The thing is making the range be of dchars doesn't help with
>> this.
>
> At least it won't induce more problems

This is what Phobos already does and it has already created more
problems. It was a mistake to do it this way.

But if string was just an opaque(ish) blob with a variety of
accessor properties it would work better then. The big mistake
Phobos made was trying to automatically do something and causing
friction by that automatic thing not being right.