Add ImportC compiler to dmd

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon May 10 00:18:15 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 9 May 2021 at 22:41:23 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 May 2021 at 22:36:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It never occurred to me that this might be a solution to that
>> problem (rather than adding a bunch of wacky extensions to D).
>
> This doesn't solve anything about dlls.
>
> Meanwhile though gdc and ldc will be getting significantly
> improved support for these cases in a matter of months.

Time constrained, so short answer: it solves the problem by
eliminating the need for them. If I can trivially compile C and D
code together then no need to mess around with writing a DLL for
an extension. It's a massive difference to give a few files of
code to someone else and tell them to compile it with DMD vs
telling them to figure out import libraries and language interop
and put the DLL in the right directory and use mingw, blah blah
blah. If I were giving you the code, none of that would be an
obstacle, but the most technical thing some of them have ever
done is install Python.