No we should not support enum types derived from strings

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 05:25:59 UTC 2021

On Monday, 10 May 2021 at 22:58:41 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

> Sure, but look at this thread. D is crumbling under the weight,
> not of the number f feature, but of the fact that a large
> portion of them simply are unsound.
>
> At this point, the decision made is to push the madness on the
> user. Fair enough, but if the standard lib devs are not willing
> to put up with it, why in hell would you expect anyone else to?
> Just look at what's in the C++ standard lib or boost and
> compare to your average C++ project to see the kind of gap in
> term of motivation to put up with bullshit exists between
> standard lib devs and Joe coder. It's not even close.
>
> This stuff ain't working properly so let's just given getting
> to work at all is not how you iterate toward a great useful
> product.

Well, this thread is 11 pages and show no sign of winding down.
In the meantime, has anyone looked at the code that sparked this
outrage ?

[As I mentioned in the
PR](https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8029#issuecomment-834221552), the issue wouldn't have happened if the `fmt` template parameter was a `string` and not an `alias`.

> Q: why is fmt an alias and not a simple string ?
> A: No real reason.

The way I see it, the issue is valid, the fix wasn't. `format`
API should have accepted a `string` and let the compiler perform
any allowed implicit conversion, instead of taking exactly the
type via `alias`.

I wish our most competent contributors would find it more
interesting to direct their attention to Github or promote the
language to their large Twitter following over engaging in
flamewar.