Add ImportC compiler to dmd

xBuzz xenofuzz at postmail.net
Wed May 12 09:24:05 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 9 May 2021 at 20:57:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12507
>
> If you could add a C compiler to dmd with 3000 lines of code,
> so C code could be imported directly? I would!

I'm gonna say something you don't like. I know everyone
(including myself) hates such kind of posts. I'm sorry in
advance, I simply don't have an idea how to make you realize that
the current way of the language evolution leads to nowhere. Of
course, it's your project and not my business. No one owes anyone
anything, but if you continue to spread resources on something
other than fixing what you already have, I doubt dlang will get
more popularity. Nobody wants to invest time/money to build their
project based on a broken foundation. Look at the language. It's
not consistent. It's just a bunch of features coupled together,
part of them don't even work as designed. "shared", "scope",
properties, even the initialization of associative arrays aren't
finished (and this is just the tip of the iceberg). I've been
following these forums for years, trying dlang again and again.
Many question threads end with advent of Jonathan M Davis (I
really appreciate it) stating a fact that "sadly, it's not
implemented/fixed yet". Look at changelogs of dmd. Bugfixes,
deprecations and virtually no language improvements/fixes. There
are many issues in existing functionality and nobody cares to do
something with it. Of course it's much more entertaining to play
with integration of a C compiler, rather than do a hard work of
trying to eliminate broken/unfinished things. Is there a roadmap
with planned features/fixes/improvements for each milestone? You
don't plan features/improvements for upcoming releases? It's been
many years of stagnation, maybe it's time to finally start
working on getting a solid core language?
I know, I know... Who am I to criticize you, right? I've done
nothing and you've created a valuable project. I just hope you
won't bury the fruit of your many years of hard work and I
sincerely wish you a good luck!