Add ImportC compiler to dmd

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu May 13 00:04:38 UTC 2021

On 5/12/2021 2:24 AM, xBuzz wrote:
> I'm gonna say something you don't like.

I don't mind. But I will say that show me a language that isn't getting a
constant stream of bug fixes, improvements, etc., and I'll show you a dead language.

Every D changelog is full of bug fixes and improvements.

The true measure of a language its not its perfection, but its utility. Is D
usable to easily create great programs? Hell yes!

The only perfect languages are very small ones, and nobody uses them, because
you can't do anything with them. The real world is dirty, and useful languages
wind up being dirty to be able to play in the real world.

As for ImportC, people have been asking for easy importation of C code for
decades. D's inability to do that is very clearly a large barrier to adoption. I
hear about this *all* the time.

I decided to take a sledgehammer and bash that problem out of existence. It's
absolutely what the D community ought to be doing.