A diatribe on Rust

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu May 13 11:01:31 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 02:09:20 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTyCQwHGro&t=3317s
>
> I wonder where D stands with regard to the author's various
> comparisons and contrasts between Rust and C++.

I agree with the author for most of the part. I predicted that
more and more people would notice some of the inconveniences with
Rust, and the popularity will plateau.

For some years ago I did an investigation what language was the
best to replace some of my C++ code (both embedded and
application code) and I found Rust to be too inconvenient. This
eventually led me to D which seems to be the language that can do
most what I was looking for and is as well kind of forgiving.

This also makes me want to warn the D maintainers not to try to
shoe horn features that you find in Rust into D too quickly. Give
it more time and see what features can stand the test of time in
Rust, what was a fad and what was not. D has recently taken too
much impression from Rust with @safe as default and borrow
checker (which isn't a new memory management method). Something I
don't care that much about.