A diatribe on Rust

sighoya sighoya at gmail.com
Thu May 13 14:36:51 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 11:01:31 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> I agree with the author for most of the part. I predicted that
> more and more people would notice some of the inconveniences
> with Rust, and the popularity will plateau.

I hope so, it was too much hyped for my taste.
Just remembering on the trifecta they promised, safe, concurrent
and fast and that all with ownership/borrowing.

The truth is however, that borrowing is too limited to achieve
concurrency treating your program literally to cooperative
exclusive threading only.

Therefore, RC and ARC must be used instead which on the other
hand eventually lead to unsafe code.

It was also hyped that borrowing/ownership replaces GC, but what
I see in most codebases is the use of RC structures, just because
they are more convenient.