Appreciation for Adrdox

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu May 13 15:57:39 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 04:23:26 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
> Just wanted to drop a note of thanks for your documentation
> generator.

Excellent! Glad it is working out.

> I found the output of adrdox to be the most visually appealing
> of the three and the easiest to navigate.

Note that its syntax is actually only partially compatible with
ddoc. I cut a bunch of their features and added a bunch of my own

I keep a page here listing things:
http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/adrdox.syntax.html

I don't like accidentally triggering markdown so i put that in
its own blocks for the most part but the biggest thing is if you
reference anything with [brackets.around.it], it does a name
lookup and links for you.

So you can use local names or fully qualified names and help to
interlink things you reference. [thing_to_link|text to display]
is also a thing you can do (the bar came from wikipedia syntax
rather than markdown).

It can even reorganize things

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/adrdox.syntax.html#symbol-grouping

which is how this listing is achieved:
http://arsd-official.dpldocs.info/arsd.nanovega.html#members

So a bunch of cool things you can dip into once you commit to
using my incompatible syntax.

> In addition it also had the least number of bugs (zero so far).

Lucky you! lol. I always try to fix them within a week of people
reporting them to me so that probably helps.

I kinda hate it when people report bugs tho because they're
almost always massively complicated. I've fixed most the easy
ones already so what's left tends to take hours to figure out and
since my code is really, really bad (I'd rewrite it totally
differenly if I had infinite time but instead I tend to just keep
patching more filth on top of the already rotting core...) it is
easy to make regressions.

But also since I can auto-generate pages from various projects
problems tend to get noticed before too long.

That said don't hesitate to email me or message on the irc if
something does come up and I'll see what I can do.