Add ImportC compiler to dmd

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri May 14 06:38:34 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 15:22:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 14:41:17 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> I don't think the people who have left did it because of C
> interop. C++ interop maybe.  People who left most likely did it
> because of inconsistencies and memory management challenges.

I'm only one data point, and maybe in the extreme minority, but
in my field C++ interop, GC reliance, and language inconsistencies
aren't critical issues.

In fact many of our widely used languages are riddled with
inconsistencies (I'm looking at you matlab & idl), but that
doesn't stop them because the feature set is so nice.

All the widely used libraries are written in C or Fortran, and
most of our local legacy code is in C, or Python.  This means
C++ interop really isn't part of our picture.  Since D can
call C and it can look very pythonic it's a good fit.

So for us, improved C interop would be a nice bonus, and a good
selling point.

(Heck if you really want to turn some heads add a fortran 77
parser :)