Per thread heap, GC, etc.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 14 15:16:55 UTC 2021

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 15:10:37 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 13:48:12 UTC, Markk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just some thoughts after reading a handful Rust and D books...
>> and after having seen so many wrinkle their noses at GC ...
>> and therefore, unfortunately D.
>>
>> _Mark
>
> Interesting thoughts. Just a general question I've been trying
> to understand:
> Why do you think ppl "wrinkle their noses at GC"? 🤔

For low level programming in general:

1. real time issues/performance
2. unpredictable cleanup (finalization/RAII)
3. higher memory consumption
4. more challenging interop with other languages
5. cannot be used in some execution contexts

For D specifically:
1. freezing all GC threads
2. no tracking of ownership-type in the type system