Add ImportC compiler to dmd

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri May 14 18:56:07 UTC 2021

I'm afraid my dubious contributions are a bit off topic for
this thread, but one more won't hurt I guess...

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 08:26:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 06:38:34 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
>> In fact many of our widely used languages are riddled with
>> inconsistencies (I'm looking at you matlab & idl), but that
>> doesn't stop them because the feature set is so nice.
>
> Right, but Matlab is being displaced by Python (at a slow
> pace). Of course that is also related to licensing (for
> students), but I think language-issues is also a factor.
> Especially when writing larger programs, then Python is a clear
> winner.

In general that's true, but lately Matlab and IDL are making a
comeback among my peers because hardware projects have money to
pay for licensing (staff are so much more expensive than software
licenses anyway) and matplotlib is slow compared to the
alternatives.

>> So for us, improved C interop would be a nice bonus, and a good
>> selling point.
>
> Sure! BUT you also didn't dismiss D as a valid tool for you, am
> I right?

You're right, but I'm just one person at my work site.  I'm
looking
to sell others on D.  I'm already sold :)

I think features get users, quality keeps them, so both matter.