Plan for D

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at gmail.com
Fri May 14 21:29:59 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 20:57:13 UTC, dogman wrote:
> Question to the core team. Whats the plan and roadmap for D ?
> a. are we planning to keep D just as a hobby language or a real
> contender for industry use. Despite being complex, rust has
> started to get adopted in industries. Whats our plan ?
>
> b. When are we planning to focus on memory safety and use that
> as our strength
>
> c. Will we ever make D as both a GC and non GC language. So
> that it can be used across control plane, data plane, kernel. I
> know betterC, but could we make it more easy and accessible
> common public to able to use phobos. I know people say 95% is
> done etc.
>
> d. Why there are no working groups for tooling, webframeworks,
> performance, compiler etc so that we can improve on each area.
>
> e. Why is weka not sponsoring ? why are we not advertising that
> the fastest filesystem is made in D ?
>
> f. D has all properties to make it a good language. But needs
> more work and marketing. Why cant we make D as a safe and fast
> extension to C++ & python

Do not plan to get an answer
This kind of question is asked every years since at least 10
years ago.

I am remind that at begining ov dlang v2 it was : it is not our
faut the War tango vs photos as stdlib just broke our community.
We need a killer application à la Ruby on rails.
Now it is not 1 killer application but a set of software
environnements on se, Big data, sécurité, gui, games...
How they Can Do it?
To remember D is bien in 2001 and Rust ...

Instead to add New feature maybe waste dôme Time on one of
more heavily used...

I remember a Time to where Facebook use D to replace c++ code but
now ...