Plan for D

bioinfornatics bioinfornatics at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 15 15:35:13 UTC 2021

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 21:29:59 UTC, bioinfornatics wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 20:57:13 UTC, dogman wrote:
>> Question to the core team. Whats the plan and roadmap for D ?
>> a. are we planning to keep D just as a hobby language or a
>> real contender for industry use. Despite being complex, rust
>> has started to get adopted in industries. Whats our plan ?
>>
>> b. When are we planning to focus on memory safety and use that
>> as our strength
>>
>> c. Will we ever make D as both a GC and non GC language. So
>> that it can be used across control plane, data plane, kernel.
>> I know betterC, but could we make it more easy and accessible
>> common public to able to use phobos. I know people say 95% is
>> done etc.
>>
>> d. Why there are no working groups for tooling, webframeworks,
>> performance, compiler etc so that we can improve on each area.
>>
>> e. Why is weka not sponsoring ? why are we not advertising
>> that the fastest filesystem is made in D ?
>>
>> f. D has all properties to make it a good language. But needs
>> more work and marketing. Why cant we make D as a safe and fast
>> extension to C++ & python
>
> Do not plan to get an answer
> This kind of question is asked every years since at least 10
> years ago.
>
> I am remind that at begining ov dlang v2 it was : it is not our
> faut the War tango vs photos as stdlib just broke our
> community. We need a killer application à la Ruby on rails.
> Now it is not 1 killer application but a set of software
> environnements on se, Big data, sécurité, gui, games...
> How they Can Do it?
> To remember D is bien in 2001 and Rust ...
>
> Instead to add New feature maybe waste dôme Time on one of
> more heavily used...
>
> I remember a Time to where Facebook use D to replace c++ code
> but now ...

Sorry I wrote from my phone and my spellchecker has done some
weird job.

So I rephrase:

Do not plan to get an answer

This kind of question is asked every years since at least 10
years ago.

I am remind that at beginning of dlang v2 it was :
«it is not our fault, the war tango vs photos as stdlib just
broke our
community. We need a killer application à la Ruby on rails.»

Now it is not one killer application but a set of software
environments on web, Big data, security, gui, games...
How they Can Do it, in 10 years we didn't get a killer
application so a set …?

To remember D is born in 2001 and Rust ...

Instead, to add new features … maybe would b a good idea to waste
some time on one of