Plan for D

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun May 16 05:50:12 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 05:35:30 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:

> WTF? All programs exit. Most programs try to play nice so that
> the user can get the most out of his computer.

Yeah, and...? dmd a very short-running program, and its allocated
memory is released when it exits.

> There are many good reasons to eat your own pudding. If you
> dont, people will assume itsnt edible.

You're acting as if D can only be used with the GC. dmd is
*written* in D, so we are eating our own pudding. Walter is very
focused on making compiles as fast as possible, and he determined
that releasing memory and using the GC prevent him from meeting
that goal. And he can still write his program in D.

The GC is not a panacea. It's not suitable for every use case or
performance goal. And that's perfectly fine.