Plan for D

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun May 16 10:15:00 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 09:48:58 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> In practice that's the case, that you cannot avoid GC unless
> you don't use anything from the standard library. As soon you
> use arrays, associative arrays and many other data structures
> GC will be used.

By definition, avoiding the GC means avoiding features that use
the GC. And you don't lose everything in the standard library,
either. A good chunk of it does not require the GC.

Like anything else in programming, it's a tradeoff. Give up the
GC and you lose the convenience it provides. The question is, do
you *need* to give up the GC or not? And if so, do you need to
give it up completely or only in the spots where you absolutely
cannot trigger an allocation?

I'm not saying there can't be more work done to alleviate any
pain that arises from going without the GC. But I do believe some
people reach for @nogc when they don't need to, and I don't think
that's a demographic we should be aiming for.