Plan for D

dogman dogman at somehwere.com
Sun May 16 20:36:41 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 20:33:12 UTC, dogman wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 19:46:06 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 18:24:11 UTC, dogman wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> There are "GC off" switches.
>>
>> @nogc, GC.disable and betterC
>
> But then we dont know if all standard library and other modules
> can be used. We dont even have associate arrays etc. What we
> want is a pluggable framework where people can use the default
> GC or their GC or manual memory management by registering
> malloc/free's(like zig). Code is same. I am not sure
> technically if its possible as I am not an expert in compiler.

Rust says "Rewrite", D will say "Extend" which means extend your
code and rewrite slowly with a safe and simple language.
Companies can start writing D and use their existing c/c++ code.
I have been working in c/c++ for last 10-15 years still I couldnt
follow rust easily. Went through the rust book 2 times. I do like
some part of it but any big code base looks horribly complex. I
doubted if its my problem or is language is complex and bad to
read.