Plan for D

dogman dogman at somehwere.com
Sun May 16 21:38:51 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 16 May 2021 at 21:24:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Let me put it this way, a couple of years ago Facebook played
> with D, now they have this to tell about Rust.

I disagree with this. Facebook chose it because they want to run
a safe stable language for their mercurial clone. There are lot
of thoughts, support, ads by mozilla folks for this. Why didnt
facebook chose Go for this ? For their case GC was no go. For
Remedy did we analyse what went wrong ? Do we know why facebook
didnt D after Andrei left ? Did we ask what programming community
want. Definitely we cant satisfy everyone for all the feature but
atleast we should play with  some of our  strengths.
Why would someone use D for any with GC.
Go - has GC, easy, good libraries, google backing
Rust - safety, mozilla backing
swift - apple backing, easy

Lets not be in own echo chamber. I feel D can push itself as a
simple way of doing memory safety and extension to C/C++/python
instead of a rewrite. Let advertize as a language which can be
simple like python and fast as C. C++ rust interop doesnt see
easy.
a. Safe language
b. Good tooling
c. Good interop with C/C++