Plan for D

Ola Fosheim Grostad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 17 19:23:48 UTC 2021

On Monday, 17 May 2021 at 19:10:09 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> That's a possibility, however badging the code similar to
> unique_ptr and shared_ptr like in C++ is not something I want
> to do. What if I want to change the GC algorithm suddenly? One
> possibility is just to have a generic name for the GC type,
> like GcRef which is an alias for the actual GC type and then
> you can change it.

Yes, fix type unification first, then do something like that...
But you need to deal with finalization issues too. Btw, another
advantage with task bound GC is that it could call all missed
finalizers at completion, so the impact of not having a fully
precise GC would be less also in terms of finalization.

> Then we have to go through the entire library and change to the
> versatile GC alias.

I guess Phobos alone is not a big issue, we could just fork it.
The real issue is when you want to use third party libraries that
assume Phobos...